With my wedding anniversary just passing on Monday, I can’t help but think about our first few months together, back when we were dating. Although poor college students at the time, I have to commend him for doing a great job “courting” me, and it wasn’t until seven years later that he proposed.
Ok…I’m sure you are thinking, that’s a nice story, but why is this relevant? It was within these past seven years that this relationship developed. And now, we are each other’s strongest “brand ambassadors.” Most wouldn’t propose the first time they met their future spouse, so why would your first communication with an influencer be with a marketing agreement in-hand?
Your best brand ambassadors are those with whom you’ve developed a strong relationship – one that’s built over time through continuously beneficial opportunities. It’s these relationships that will create authentic and passionate fans out of influencers, which will ultimately translate to how their followers view your brand.
At DEVENEY, we’ve developed our RIPPLE program for influencer engagement, with the core focus on building these long-term relationships. There’s still value in the more traditional influencer campaign, but it is even more valuable when the activation is coupled with an always-on approach.
So how do you do that?
We like to think of these first steps in building the relationship almost like flirting. So, what’s flirting like in this context?
- Strategically show up at the party you know she’s at (Follow, subscribe and like their content)
- Talk her up with your friends (Share their content with your community)
- Make friends with her besties (Connect with those who influence them)
- Give a compliment or two (Comment on their posts)
- Tell your bros how great she is (Link back to their content from your posts)
- Snap or gram selfies together (Feature them in your content)
- Go on that first date, but keep it casual (Build personal rapport with them)
After you’ve done all this, hopefully, your relationship has blossomed and you’re in a great place to “pop the question.”
What’s your flirting style? What’s your go-to move? Tweet us your tips @DEVENEYnola using the #DEVchat hashtag.
Want more influencer tips? Read additional DEVENEY insights on why influencers are important to your brand, identifying the right influencers and managing influencers once you’ve developed the relationship.